Saturday, July 18, 2009

Anti-pity party

I think that losing someone as a young child really puts things in perspective and sets the precedent for one’s ability to deal with issues. At least, it did for me.

I decided right then and there that nothing could hurt as much as having death capture someone you love. Everything else seems so insignificant in comparison. Consequently it has made me fearless. Knowing that I’ve been through the greatest thing that could ever hurt me, more than once, I know I can handle anything.

I used to think that grieving is the worst possible thing anyone can go through. Now that I’m older, I realize that everyone is different. Whatever anyone has been through, regardless of the tragedy, that is their most emotional experience. I’ve learned not to compare my definition of pain to someone else’s. We’re all on this journey together and have all experienced pain.

When I find myself feeling stressed, tired, lonely, angry, sad, confused, disappointed and broken….I remember that it could always be worse. I am healthy. I have loved ones who are healthy. I love everything about life. Even the bad stuff. I’m grateful to say that I have “inconveniences”. That means that I’m comfortable enough to recognize the aggravation.

I am appreciative that I have the opportunity to take what I don’t like and change it. As an American, there is no excuse not to succeed in what you set your mind to. All too often we feel sorry for ourselves for our shortcomings. Truth is, it’s probably your fault. Where you are in life now is a result of choices you’ve made. If you don’t like it, change it. We cannot control what happens to us but we can control how we react to it.

Whatever pains you bear, whatever you’re struggling with…know you have the power to overcome it. I don’t buy into excuses and I feel sorry for no one. No American at least. We have every opportunity at our fingertips and we take it for granted. People in this world don’t have what we have and we shouldn’t turn a blind eye to that fact. Even the poorest of the poor in America still have it better than third world countries. Most of my generation and the ones after have no idea what struggle is. Even in this recession, we are still blessed.

Happiness is not a result of the events surrounding your life. Happiness comes from within. Don’t wait to be happy. A common misconception is that one will be happy once they are financial secure. The sooner you deal with the fact that money will always be a constant worry in your life, the better. More money, bigger bills. If you cannot find joy in your current life, winning the lottery will not help you. You will be the same person with the same problems, only with more money.

I don’t really know where I’m going with this blog or what’s the purpose. But that’s what is in my heart at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment