Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Throwback to 1956

The following information was extracted from a column written by Floyd Knott published in the Teche News:

Sayings from 1956:

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for ten dollars."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit smoking. Twenty cents a pack is ridiculous"

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $1,000 will only buy a used one."

"I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open a whole lot of foreign business."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought that gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon?"

"Did you hear that the post office is thinking about charging seven cents just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, no one will be able to hire outside help at the store."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

"No one can afford to be sick anymore. At $15 a day in the hospital it's too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut, forget it"

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more ever since they let Clark Gable say "damn" in Gone with the Wind."

"The drive in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. they even say some fellows they call astronauts are preparing for it down in Texas."

"I never thought I'd see the day when all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where some married women have to work to make ends meet. It won't be long before young couples are going to have hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work. "

"Thank goodness I won't live to see they day when the government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to govern."

I would love to hear any thoughts/comments. Which is your favorite? I wonder what those people would have thought if someone told them THEN what it's like NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment